Monday, November 9, 2009

FLU Bugs, Jewels And Daniels Voice

Today Daniel is missing another day of school. The flu has really knocked him down. But today does seem to be a day of recovery. He is up and doing his Daniel things.

I have been expecting to get the flu. Think I may have gotten it or tried to get it. Had some symptoms. Sore throat (knocked out by gargling with iodine and water) and a funny rash on my ankle with imflammation and difficulty walking or even standing on it. Which kept me from making jewels at one point! THE HORROR!

Speaking of Daniel things, I am on a mission to get Daniel a voice. The new Vantage Lite is the ACC device that he has needed for the last 13 years.




Vantage Lite

Ok this device is totally new but over the years it is similar to what I would have liked to see him be provided with. What I know he needed yet never gets. Combined with the LAMP method of learning the device (and those around him learning how to use it) I believe Daniel will finally be able to express himself "verbally". He needs this.

I demo'd the software and never experienced anything like it. He has had devices before. The one at home goes thru batteries faster than I can change them. And is limited to 16 words. The ones at school were either never implemented or were too complicated for even the staff to implement. I said were because they chose to abandon the usage of an communication device because it was too complicated (of course they didnt say that, their reasoning is HE cant use it, never mind he CAN use it at home).

And they didnt have the LAMP method either...

So now that I have found Daniels voice I have to figure out how to give it to him. These are expensive and I am not rich, so figuring out funding is an issue.

I would submit to us being test subjects to get this device. Cant really rob a bank. Jewel Fundraiser with all proceeds benefitting Daniels Voice? Possibility.

But since Daniel is disabled and there is this thing called the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act) the school district has responsibility to provide this device. So, I went my usual route asking the School District to provide Daniel with the Vantage Lite.(with the mistaken impression that they too would see the promise of this device) Funny how i always forget how these things go.

First, flat out denial.

Next, oh we didnt deny it(after I had the audacity to question their denial), we just have to evaluate and think about it (typically a months long process) and have a team meeting to which of course your input is taken into consideration (in my dreams).

Then (months later): We have thought about it and think the best action is to continue to use the method and pecs on a ring that lets Daniel use 10 words.

It is the easy thing to do.

Ultimatly, many months later after going thru Due Process and hopefully proving to a judge that the device is needed, more time spent filling out the forms to buy it. Finally training and hope it doesnt become a dust collector.

Imagine trying to communicate silently to the world with 10 words. Could You do it?

Daniel needs his voice...

Cheryl

No comments: